Pongal also known as Makarsankranti and Uttarayan,the winter harvest festival is celebrated with fun and frolic throughout India. And its already weekend and winters are here. So I thought of preparing sweet pongal on this chilling Friday evening. Sharing this recipe with you all.
Preparation Time: 10 mins. Cooking Time: 20 minutes.
All we need is
- ½ cup rice
- 1/3 to ½ cup moong dal / pesara pappu
- ½ cup powdered or grated jaggery or palm sugar (you can increase by 2 tbsp)
- 1/8 tsp. green cardamom powder.
- 2 to 3 tbsp. Ghee (you can reduce it to 1)
- 1 tbsp. raisins
- 1 to 2 tbsp. Cashews broken
- 1 to 2 cloves (optional)
- Add moong dal / pesara pappu to a heavy bottom pan or pressure cooker and roast it till they turn fragrant
- Add rice to the same pan and wash them at least twice.
- Pour 2 ¼ cups of water. Cook till soft either in the pressure cooker for 2 whistles or in the pot.
- Pour ¼ cup water to grated jaggery. On a low flame stir and melt it. Keep this aside.
- When the pressure from the cooker is down, remove the lid and mash the rice.
- Filter jaggery syrup to the cooked rice dal.
- Add green cardamom powder. Mix and cook on a medium flame till the jaggery syrup blends well with rice. It should begin to bubble up well. Off the stove.
- Heat a pan with ghee and add them to the rice. To the pan, add cashews, clove and fry till golden, off the stove and add raisins, Garnish sweet pongal with cashew nuts,raisins and cloves.
4.Chakkara pongal is ready.