Starting “Easy Christmas Recipe Series”. with Czechoslovakian famous recipe Kolache which is super easy to make and perfect way to start your Christmas celebrations.
Kolach is a type of pastry that holds a dollop of fruit surrounded by puffy cushion of flexible dough. Originated from Czechoslovakia, and originally Old Slavonic word “kolo” means “circle”,”wheel”.
Let’s get started!
Preparation Time- 30 minutes, Cook Time- 20 minutes, Ready In- 2 hours 20 minutes. Servings-2.
All purpose flour (Maida) -5 cups,
Butter- 1 cup,
Sugar- 1/2 cup,
Salt- 1 1/2 teaspoons,
Milk- 2 1/2 cups,
Lemon Extract- 1/2 tsp,
Fruit preserves- 1/2 cup,
Active dry yeast- 1 1/2 tablespoons,
- Whisk butter and sugar together in a bowl. Stir in salt,hot milk and lemon extract together.
- When lukewarm,add yeast to the mixture.Let stand for 5 minutes,
- Add flour by whisking it well and knead it in bowl.
- Let it rise for an hour.
- Cut off small balls of dough. Roll into rounds in your hands, and place on greased cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Let rise 15 minutes.
- Make a deep depression with your thracks.umb lightly into the center of each roll.Fill it with fruit preserve of your choice. I have used here blueberry,raspberry and strawberry preserve.
- Bake at 180*C for 20 minutes.Keep checking in between until golden brown.
- Once done let it cool down little on wire rack.Serve warm.
This is my first try and haven’t eaten kolache before, and I enjoyed it while baking and it turned out to be delicious.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!