Holi is around the corner and every household is busy with preparing Holi delicacies. This year I decided to make Lavang/Laung Latika /Lata apart from our traditional Gujiyas,Shakarpaare, Malpuas, Dahi Wadas etc…. OMG!! I am already droooooling over it!!!
Laung / Lavang Latika / Lata is a famous North Indian traditional mithai/ dessert. Stuffed and deep fried pastry is soaked in sugar and served as sweet.
Preparation Time- 1 hour, Cooking Time- 20 mins.
- 1/2 kg all purpose flour,
- 30 cloves,
- 250-300 gm sugar for Chashni (Sugar Syrup) and 1 cup water.
- Refined oil for deep frying,
- 1 cup Water for kneading
- 500 gm homemade khoya/mawa,
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered green cardamom,
- 15 tablespoon crushed Raisins,
- 2 cup powdered coconut
- 1 cup powdered sugar
For paste- 1 teaspoon maida and 1 teaspoon water.
- Sieve the maida well. Add oil and knead it well by adding water. The dough should not be too hard. Cover it with muslin cloth for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, let’s prepare sugar syrup, heat 1 cup of water over medium flame. Add sugar and stir well until fully dissolved.
Bring the sugar syrup to a boil and simmer until it reaches one string consistency.
- Let’s start prepping up for stuffing. Heat a pan and roast khoya until golden brown,allow it to cool and then add powdered sugar,desiccated coconut,powdered cardamom and crushed raisins.
- Divide the dough into 20 small equal balls and prepare small puris.
- Add little filling in the centre of puri and fold them into a sqaure and secure the edges with the help of paste ( 1 teaspoon maida and 1 teaspoon water) and lock it with clove.
- Heat the oil on medium flame and add latikas (puris) , fry until golden brown and crispy.
- Add the latikas in sugar syrup. Leave it for a minute.
- Serve hot.